The Heart of the Black Madonna

Thursday, February 2, 2023

There is Safety in Darkness




Darkness is something we seem to be afraid of for the last several hundred years. Most fairy tales prime us to fear dark forests and the night in general. Personally, I have always welcomed the dark, in fact I prefer Autumn and Winter for those reasons. I feel much calmer in the dark, and find excessive sunlight quite overwhelming. I was on the Arctic Circle one June, and the sun barely set for a few hours, our hotel had blackout curtains so we could rest, and I was not comfortable with the situation at all.

On this weeks Black Madonna Speaks, I interviewed Clark Strand, author of many books on various aspects of spirituality and religion. His latest new edition of a book originally released in 2015, was of all places, suggested to me via Amazon recommendations. At the same time, I had been contacted to do an interview on Home to Her, and the host, Liz Childs Kelly, was a personal friend of Strand and his wife, Perdita Finn. Kelly connected us, and the rest is history. 

It was an extraordinary interview, but I find all people associated with The Black Madonna to be extraordinary. What I found the most intriguing about this book, is that it really fills in the gaps for me personally on what/who exactly The Black Madonna is specifically. Obviously, I have great faith and devotion to the many narratives surrounding these images, but I often wonder what exactly is going on, as I am trained in sciences.

Strand's experience confirms not only my own experiences, but countless ones both historically and currently.

It really is worth a read, and the podcast is worth a listen.

Waking Up to the Dark: The Black Madonna's Gospel for An Age of Extinction and Collapse by Clark Strand 



No comments:

Post a Comment